Accountants provide financial advice to clients ranging from multinational organisations and governmental bodies to small independent businesses and individuals. They often specialise in particular areas of practice, including management accounting, internal audit, forensic accounting, taxation, assurance and corporate finance.
Typical duties include:
- preparing accounts and tax returns
- auditing financial information
- compiling and presenting reports, budgets, business plans, commentaries and financial statements
- analysing business plans
- providing tax planning services based on current legislation
- financial forecasting and risk analysis
- dealing with insolvency situations
- negotiating the terms of business deals with clients
- meeting and interviewing clients
- managing colleagues.